Interfaith Coalition Against Gun Violence
Formed in October 2015, The Interfaith Coalition Against Gun Violence (ICAGV) is open to anyone who seeks to end gun violence and believes that if we work together, we can make a difference. If you would like to join this effort, please contact us.
The ICAGV’s Statement of Purpose is: We stand for the right to live in a safe society where we work to prevent irresponsible gun violence, where no life is lost or harmed by a bullet due to an accident or a violent act. We exist to inform and educate others about the issues and facts concerning gun violence in our country and what can be done to stop it. We are bound together across all faiths by a love of our fellow human beings. By working together and helping to expand peace across our nation, we honor God.
What You Can Do
Here are some action items for you to take to prevent gun violence:
1) Join an advocacy group:
New Yorkers Against Gun Violence is a non-profit organization devoted to stopping gun violence. For a list of 5 things you can do to reduce gun violence, click here.
2) Learn more about gun violence at these websites:
- Americans for Responsible Solutions - an organization founded by Gabby Giffords and her husband to encourage elected officials to stand up for solutions to prevent gun violence and protect responsible gun ownership.
- Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence - a national organization with the mission to create a safer America for all of us that will lead to a dramatic reduction in gun deaths and injuries.
- Campaign to Unload - a group of 50 organizations united to encourage institutional investors and pension fund managers to divest gun stocks.
- Center for Gun Policy & Research at Johns Hopkins University – a non-profit organization engaged in scholarly research, policy analysis and agenda-setting public discourse related to gun violence prevention.
- Coalition to Stop Gun Violence – an organization that seeks to secure freedom from gun violence through research, strategic engagement and effective policy advocacy
- Everytown for Gun Safety - a movement of Americans working together to end gun violence and build safer communities; the organization includes Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and Everytown Survivor Network.
- Faiths United to Prevent Gun Violence - a diverse coalition of faith-based organizations united to confront gun violence.
- Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence - a national law center focused on providing legal expertise in support of gun violence prevention and the promotion of smart gun laws.
- States United to Prevent Gun Violence - 30 state gun violence prevention groups working to make communities safer through common sense laws and anti-violence education
- The Trace - a nonprofit media organization dedicated to expanding media coverage of guns in the U.S.
ICAGV Events to Date
December 13, 2017 Candlelight Vigil to End Gun Violence
December 18, 2016 Candlelight Vigil to End Gun Violence
September 25, 2016 Concert Across America to End Gun Violence with pianist Gwhyneth Chen in a solo recital
September 25, 2016 Participated in Concert Across America in New Rochelle
June 20, 2016 Candlelight Vigil to Honor the Victims of the Pulse Shooting in Orlando
May 24, 2016 Scarsdale Village Board proclaims June 2, 2016 to be "Gun Violence Awareness Day" at ICAGV's request
May 4, 2016 Film Screening of "Making a Killing: Guns, Greed and the NRA"
December 20, 2015 Candlelight Vigil to End Gun Violence
December 8, 2015 Forum to Address Gun Violence