Open and Affirming Declaration
We are an Open and Affirming Church – Warmly Welcoming All of God's Children. The following text was approved at a Special Corporate Meeting on May 7, 2006.
- The Scarsdale Congregational Church, United Church of Christ welcomes people of every race, ethnicity, faith background, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical and mental ability, and economic circumstance into the ministry and fellowship of our Church.
- We gather here for reasons that are as many as are we; out of need, curiosity, habit, hope; out of a desire to worship, to be with friends, to discover friends; out of a need to find meaning, to be healed, to be relieved of our burdens, to pray, to find rest for our souls; out of a desire to come into God's presence.
- Following the example of Jesus Christ, we affirm all relationships that are founded on the principle of love. In so saying, we declare ourselves to be an Open and Affirming Church – warmly welcoming all of God's children.
- We celebrate the image of God in every person. We rejoice in and value the sacredness of life and recognize that we are called to accept one another and ourselves and our sexuality. Our sexuality is a gift from God which enriches our lives and is one of the channels through which we experience life.
- We affirm our regard for the dignity and worth of all people. Our church covenant "to seek the promotion of justice" compels us now to speak and work diligently to end oppression, discrimination and violence directed against gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and transgendered persons, and to protect the basic human rights of all people. We seek to do justice and show mercy through service and a heightened sensitivity to the needs of others, and to nurture our children and youth as they grow in stature and faith.